Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Made by Dad...

I know I've posted about the display case my dad made for me in the past, but now I feel like I have it set up properly with doilies highlighting each tray.


This is the display case sitting on the table in the living room. Can you tell this piece is very special to me?


I laid all the trays side-by-side so that you can see the beautiful workmanship.


I guess you could call this my plastic tray! I love my Tatsy shuttles! There are times when I just want to be able to tat without joining threads or tat with size 10, and the Tatsy shuttles fit the bill. The purple shuttle decorated with tatting at the top was a gift from my friend Denise. She does a fabulous job of decorating shuttles! On the lower left are two decorated shuttles I won on eBay. On the right, you can see my very first tatting shuttles. I don't use them any more, because the Susan Bates labels are wearing off. I want whoever inherits my collection to be able to identify them! In the middle you can see my Comfi Shuttles... just had to have them!


Here you see my Pelc double bobbin shuttle... haven't learned how to use it yet... some day! I don't really like the metal shuttles, but they're part of my collection! My friend Denise gave me the tatted heart stamp... she and I know what to get each other for gifts!


This is my Lacis shuttle collection, along with shuttles from Nina Libin and gourd shuttles from Alexandra Beatty Designs.


My fish shuttles, pierced shuttle, and inlay shuttle are from Purse Paradise. The three etched shuttles on the bottom right are from Handy Hands. The two Corian shuttles on the bottom left are from Canada... sorry, I don't remember exactly where I got them! Oops! It looks like one of my ceramic shuttles lost its way!

Thank you Ladytats for identifying the source of my Corian shuttles! The Corian shuttles are from Gail at Tat's All.


This is part of my Grizzly Mountain Arts collection. Yes, I did say part! Some shuttles are being used right now, and some are in their special boxes/baskets that make a set.


Of course, Dad was always thinking! This is the top of the display case. I can show off my special shuttles and keep the dust at bay! If you look carefully at the left side of each tray, Dad inset little beads to indicate the tray number. There are also little pegs at the top left and bottom right with corresponding holes above so that each tray stays in place.

No, these are not all my shuttles. I have several bags, baskets, and boxes with works-in-progress. I might be happier if I only worked on one project at a time, but I'm very easily distracted! Maybe if I get my sewing room cleaned, I'll be able to show you more! ; )

15 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,
    Wow, what a good way to display your collection.
    is it possible that the corian shuttles came from Gale at TatsAll?
    http://www.tatsall.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an wonderful way to keep your collection...full of treasures in a chest made by your Dad. That is really special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh!!! That is so special! You are one lucky lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dad is one talented man! What a treasured heirloom!

    Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some serious collection of tatting shuttles and a great place to keep them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The display case is wonderful and your collection is beautiful! I can relate to the 'UFO' (unfinished objects) dilemma. When I used to quilt I had a habit of having several projects underway most of the time:).

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. A veritable feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane, Wow, what a treasured keepsake from your Dad. The display case is Beautiful!! And you have everything so neatly displayed. All the doilies in the cases are lovely and your shuttle collection is awesome. THank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Diane, now I have another chore to do - wiping up the drool from my keyboard from looking at your lovely collection of shuttles.

    They are all so pretty all lined up in perfect order in the display case. Errr ... have you ever been a drill sergeant at one time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW on both of these posts. Such a wonderful gift from your dad and so many lovely things to display. I know you are very proud of them. The work you have put into this project proves that. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely way to showcase 2 special segments in your life - your dad & his work, and your passion - tatting.

    I had to 2nd Jon's question about ever being a drill sargent? (chuckle) Even in a display case, mine are never that neatly organized!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a display case. I am highly jealous of your Grizzly Mountain Arts collection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. Great collection and a lovely way to keep them. Ok, do you file them by the dewey decimal system too?? I just had to ask....take care, hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Diane,
    I reached your blog through Pat's.
    I'm so glad that I found you.
    What a great way to keep your treasure made by your Father. Thanks so much for sharing your great collection.
    Best wishes from Istanbul,
    Rengin

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!