Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The 12-minute ring...



I've been referring to The Complete Book of Tatting by Rebecca Jones for years, never really reading, just browsing. Yesterday, I read some words of wisdom from Rebecca: "It is better to practise with a fairly thick thread whilst learning as this way you will be able to see what you are doing and how the stitches are formed. If you use a fine crochet cotton you will find it more difficult to do this. A knitting cotton, especially a variegated colour, is very good for those first tatting efforts (p. 39)."

Hey, wait! I have variegeted knitting cotton! I have a Lady Hoare shuttle! Maybe I can tat! I don't know how long it took me to find and wind the shuttle, but I do know that it took me 12 minutes to tat this ring. Boy, was I tired after that effort!

More knowledge gained from reading Rebecca next time...

3 comments:

  1. Bravo! What a great start! I bet the next ring will only take half that time.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. For someone who says she wasn't going to be able to tat... you are doing something that looks remarkably like tatting! And nicely done too! :) As for reading all your books, I look forward to your 'reviews' of your favorites and the ones you would not recommend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to say keep posting...I love reading about the tatting books.
    This one is a favourite of mine, and I had thought of posting about my tatting books, but if you do it then I don't have to, I can just add my comment on the books I own.
    I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!