Monday, September 3, 2007

Playin' around



While Dave has been busy re-roofing the house, I've been playin' around in my sewing room... that's a very loosely used term as I haven't done much sewing in a long time! I'm supposed to be cleaning and reorganizing, and I have done some, but I keep finding long-lost treasures! Saturday I found my Weavette looms, which I've had for at least two years, maybe longer. When I first bought them, it was a nostalgia thing. I loved using my Weave-It when I was a kid (who knows what happened to that loom!), so when I saw looms that fit in the palm of your hand advertised, I heard my name being called! Did I order one? No! I ordered every one made by Buxton Brook, along with the handy dandy tote and pattern book! I was so excited when my looms arrived... I sat right down to weave! The first piece was a disaster. I barely read the directions. What did I need those for? I was an expert weaver when I was 10! Of course since the first piece fell apart, I quickly lost interest. Saturday, I decided to do something really rash... I read the directions. As you can see, this time I was successful!

I thought it might be fun to use up some of my yarn stash to make bookmarks embellished with tatting. Although the pictures seem to show the tatting pretty well, I think my little mini-tats look lost on the coarse weave when viewing it in person. Both tattings are from Minitats: 69 Petite Motifs by Patti Duff. The purple one (Flora size 20) is #1, found on page 21. The blue/green piece (hand-dyed thread, size 20 from Yarnplayer) is almost #6 on page 22. I say almost because the motif in the book has 6 rings, rather than the 5 I made. I just didn't think a 6th ring would fit!

Next weekend is the Lake Country Harvest Art Fair. I plan on going with my daughter Alison, and I hope to meet Marilee (a.k.a. Yarnplayer) and see lots of her beautiful pieces!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm so jealous! I love the weaving with the tatting. And you get to go to the fair and maybe meet our Yarnplayer! If you do, tell one of her biggest fans says hello!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to the fair too! No bears, right? We are all very scared!!

    LOVE the bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bookmarks are so cute, and the weaving is nice and even!

    Really hoping you will be able to get to the Art Fair on Saturday! Hope it's not too windy! Light weight tatting might blow away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, have fun at the fair and say hi to Marilee! I too like the bookmarks! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow those are great! One of these days I'll get there:) Thank you for the nice comments on my blog.
    HUGZ:)
    Candi

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!